"Color is to the eye what music is to the ear."
- Louis Comfort Tiffany
What does "stained glass" make you think of? Church windows? Fancy light fixtures?
How about gorgeous cakes?
Ooh la la! So soft and pretty; I love the watercolor feel to those colors.
(By Paige Fong)
This cake practically glows, it's so vivid. And I like how the flowers are mirrored in the artwork.
(By Maggie Austin Cake)
I can't imagine the time it took to pipe and paint even one of these layers, much less four.
(By Corrie Cakes)
These cookies look like sun catchers! Doesn't the blue background look like a cloudy sky showing through?
(By Melissa Alt Cakes)
One of my personal favorites today! There's a great little Tiffany museum here in Florida, and this one reminds me the most of some of his windows there. Something about all those glowing greens and rich orangey-browns... Just lovely.
(also by Queen of Hearts Couture Cakes)
Both are amazing, but that blue! WOW.
(By Bittersweet Pastry)
Perhaps more of a mosaic than stained glass, but I'm blown away by the 3D flowers! Such a great design.
And another tile mosaic:
(By Passionate Cakes)
So much detail! Can you imagine how long it would take to place all those tiny pieces?!
These flowers look like they're bursting out of the glass design:
(Also by Maggie Austin Cake)
(By Vinism Sugar Art)
I take it back; I think this is my favorite. The balance of dark and light, the perfectly blended colors, that butterfly...! It belongs in the Tiffany Museum! Or my belly. One of the two, anyway. ;)
Hope you guys enjoyed! Happy Sunday!
Sea Otter Awareness Week falls on the last week in September and is an annual recognition of the vital role that sea otters play in the nearshore ecosystem. Each year, zoos, aquariums, natural history museums, marine institutions, filmmakers, researchers, academics, educators, and the public participate in various events and activities highlighting sea otters and their natural history and the various conservation issues sea otters are faced with.
Events are being held all over the U.S. and in Vancouver, Canada; Brest, France; Lisbon, Portugal; and Denmark! Click here to find one near you!
Above photo via mayuniu
Five New York ballparks built in baseball’s “modern” era, which began early in the 20th century — Hilltop Park (1903-12), the Polo Grounds (1911-63), Ebbets Field (1913-57), Yankee Stadium (1923-2008) and Shea Stadium (1964-2008) — seeded much of the game’s history before being torn down. You can trace that history, and even more than baseball, below.
- LONG WEEKEND FTW! \o/ \o/ \o/
- Today's turning out to be a 3 Hours of 90s Alt/Rock Hits kinda day. ^___^
Lately I've been enjoying tinkering with my website: igoss.net/archive. I barely know anything about php and css, but like playing around until, through trial and error or happy accident, I get the result I want. I'm really glad that I finally fixed the menu. It's now on a separate (and easily updatable) page, hence the having to teach myself php thing. That meant going back and manually changing the code and extension in what felt like billions of files, but at least from here on out, updating the menu will only mean changes to a single page. :b
It's been about 4 years since I've done a proper update, so it's slow going. I've uploaded some 2017 fanart to the site, but still have to deal with all 2013-2016. Plus I now gotta give MCU fanart a whole page for itself. Eh. Keeps me occupied when I need to take my mind off RL stresses.
- The Defenders
I spend this week *finally* watching The Defenders. Just finished episode 6 - just 2 more to go. Surprisingly, I'm really enjoying it? I don't even find Rand that utterly annoying (except for his hair). I'm sort of liking how every character has clear flaws, and the push-pull of having to work with each other. I particularly get a kick out of Jessica Jones being 100% done with everyone, especially Matt.
I haven't even gotten to the end as yet, but I'm already looking forward to more in this 'verse. I mean, I'm not gonna subject myself to watching S1 Iron Fist - let's not get crazy - but I'm definitely gonna go check out more of Jessica Jones (I'd only seen the first 2-3 eps).
I'm psyching myself to try Inktober, since it's definitely gonna be integrated into drawesome's challenge activities for the entire month of October. I want to attempt to create something daily for the first week. And maybe stick to weekends for the rest. We'll see how it goes. At least I have the official list of Prompts to get my creativity going: ( 2017 Inktober Prompt List )
I'm thinking of trying brushwork with ink, not just using a pen or marker. Will be interesting experimenting with an ink pot, and painting in monochrome as well. I tend to lean heavily on colour blending to create visual impact in my art, so it will be a good opportunity to play around with positive/negative space etc. instead, to get that sense of drama.
a Hellenic polytheist
another sort of polytheist
not a polytheist
I would like to see Hellenion Youtube videos on the subject of...
I'm hoping for answers from people in all three categories. The idea is to see what people want in terms of informational (etc) videos from Hellenion, and then work on those videos first.
2. Getting close to done with the bunny I'm making for the now-12-year-old kid with fop who's still in the hospital. I have an ear I'm satisfied with, so just have to make a second ear and then attach them. And then do the trach, if I can figure that out. "
3. Getting my first delta. Er, okay, that requires explanation. There's a subreddit called cmv -- change my view -- where people post their opinion on something to get other people to chsnge their mind. (Basically, "I believe X, and it's an unpopular opinion and I'd like to believe something else, so persuade me otherwise".) If you feel a comment has changed your view, whether or not you're the op in the thread, you can award a delta, kind of like a kudos; this is separate from the upvoting/downvoting that all Reddit uses. I've posted a few things ere or there as responses, but mostly they've been un-responded to, much less in-delayed, until tonight. Which is trivial and yet super exciting.
4. The realization that I can order another tube hydration system thing (like what I use at night) for choir rehearsals. Hydrating during choir is awkward because I need both hands for the iPad, which means my drink has to go in my hip pack drink holder thingie, but the ridiculously straws I have aren't long enough to reach without me holding the bottom of the cup; and it's really hard for me to get the cup out when there's an iPad in the way. But this tubing system is stiff enough that I can get it to my mouth -- I'd gotten it for bed because the water bottle hangs above me and the tubing hangs down from it and I just need to move it laterally to get it to my mouth, but this particular system is nicely sturdy enough that I can hold it pointing up without it immediately flipping -- and then I wouldn't have to get the *bottle* out, just wave the tubing in my face, and otherwise have it in my lap within easy reach.
5. The fact that Phantom Tollbooth is available in kindle format. 😍 It's been ages since I read it and it's just as charming and wacky as I remember. (And it has a great first sentence: "There was once a boy named Milo who didn’t know what to do with himself—not just sometimes, but always.")
New Rule updates:
-All US Politics must stick to one thread and that thread must be clearly labelled as such.
-For a wide variety of reasons, no deliberate variant fonts, no emoji in thread titles. You can use them in the comment, but not in the title.
All the fail_fandomanon Rules and Information (and Ban Requests): http://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Other posts and resources relevant to your interests:
- Personal Issues, Off Topic Conversation, Religion, & Everything Else post
- Fic and WIP Post
- Book Clubs, Watchalongs, & Readalongs
- New unofficial FFA wiki (archive: ffawiki_backup)
- Unofficial FFA friending meme
- Unofficial Fyeah FFA tumblr
- Unofficial FFA Delicious recs list
- Unofficial FFA anon chat IRC Channel: irc.foonetic.net, #failfandom; for IRC instructions click here, or click here or here for a web-based IRC client
- Unofficial FFA Discord Chat
- Unofficial FFA archive & search: Dememe.info Username/password pairs are nonnie/pony, nonny/seal, or ayrt/velociraptor
NB: Meme rules do not require spoiler cuts/white-text/etc. Though, if you want to use spoiler cuts, a wonderful nonnie found a way to add them to DW. Just use the code below.
<div tabindex="-1"><b>spoiler title</b><div>Some spoilery content.</div></div>See here for a detailed explanation and caveats.
If you would like to be banned to avoid anonfailing please leave a comment at the rules post here: http://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Next post: Will open when this post hits 6000 comments
Previous post: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Regular view - First page: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Regular view - Last page: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Top Level view - First page: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Top Level view - Last page: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Flat view - First Comment: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Flat view - Most Recent: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/
Dememe flatview emulator is at http://dememe.info/flat_view (same login as the regular Dememe info above).